Mario Kart Wii: Custom Community

Mario Kart Wii: Custom Community

The #1 Hacking and Customization Resource!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome To Mario Kart Customs!

Share | 

HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
igorseabra4

PostSubject: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:42 pm

So I decided to write this tutorial that requires SZS Modifier, SZS Explorer (unless you only plan to remove stuff) and a hex editor.

Download this, it'll help (document by khacker35000vr):
http://www.mariokartwii.com/attachments/f72/2146d1289937292-how-add-cannons-objects-respawns-kmp-kmp-structure.txt

The easier thing to do is to add/remove cannons. Then respawns. Then objects.

I will NOT accept any requests for changing stuff anymore. If you send me a PM or something requesting a KMP modification, it'll be ignored. I will reply to PMs askng for help in a specific part of the tutorial.

Okay, first of all extract the course.kmp file and open it in a hex editor.

1. Adding cannons:
- Go to the very end of the file. You should see (not at the last part, just a bit over it) the word CNPT written in ASCII. That's where the cannon data is located at.
- If the course has no cannons, you'll see):

Code:
43 4E 50 54  00 00 00 00  4D 53 50 54  00 00 00 00
C  N  P  T  .  .  .  .  M  S  P  T  .  .  .  .

CNPT is the cannon data for the course. MSPT is the "victory position" data for battle courses (which also's probably empty since I assume you're not editing a battle course).

If there's already a cannon in the course, you'll see:

Code:
43 4E 50 54  00 01 00 00  XX XX XX XX  YY YY YY YY
C  N  P  T  cann amount  X coordinate Y coordinate

ZZ ZZ ZZ ZZ  TT TT TT TT  UU UU UU UU  VV VV VV VV
Z coordinate X angle      Y angle      Z angle

II II ?? ??  4D 53 50 54  00 00 00 00
 id  unknow  M  S  P  T  .  .  .  .

As you can see, you're free to edit what's normally edited in SZS Modifier. And you can add a cannon. Just add another cannon array (the cannon array starts with the X coordinate and ends with the ID and unknow areas). Like this:
Code:

43 4E 50 54  00 02 00 00  XX XX XX XX  YY YY YY YY
C  N  P  T  cann amount  X coordinate Y coordinate

Z coordinate X angle      Y angle      Z angle

II II ?? ??  XX XX XX XX  YY YY YY YY  ZZ ZZ ZZ ZZ
 id  unknow  X coordinate Y coordinate Z coordinate

TT TT TT TT  UU UU UU UU  VV VV VV VV  II II ?? ??
X angle      Y angle      Z angle      id  unknow

4D 53 50 54  00 00 00 00
M  S  P  T  .  .  .  .

Notice I changed the cannon amount from 00 01 00 00 to 00 02 00 00. Now there are two cannons. I reccomend you simply copy and paste a cannon from somewhere else (or from the same track if you plan on having two cannons). Or copy and paste this:

C6692000471C4000C716C8000000000042B40000000000000000FFFF

That's a complete cannon, but you still must move it in the SZS Modifier KMP editor.

If you save now, and import it into the SZS using SZS Explorer, both the SZS Modifier and the game will crash. Why?
The cannons are set correctly, but both the MSTP and STGI pointers (those come after CNPT) are wrong. That's why adding a start position is hard, you have to repoint everything that comes after it (that means everything).

The cannon array has a total of 0x1C bytes. Assuming you added one cannon, you must add 0x1C bytes to the MSPT and STGI pointers.
Press Ctrl+G or whatever the "Go To" function is in you hex editor. Go to 0x44. You're now at the pointer to MSPT (that's for all stages). Add 0x1C to it.

Now go to 0x48, that means right next to the MSPT pointer. Add 1C to it.

And that's it. Save the course.kmp file, re-import using SZS Explorer (SZS Importer can't import bigger files even if they're just 0x1C bytes bigger),

Open it in the SZS Modifier. You should see a cannon in the Cannon area (or four, if you added a cannon to Rainbow Road).

Now I assume you already know how to set up cannons, so just move the cannon to where you want to, then do those things in the KCL, etc. You already know that.

Last edited by igorseabra4 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
igorseabra4

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:51 pm

2: Adding respawns:
- Go to the very end of the file. You should see (not at the last part, just a bit over it) the word JGPT written in ASCII. That's where the respawn data is located at. If the course has too many respawns and you can't find JGPT, Ctrl+F for it.

After JGPT, you should see the number of total respawn positions in the KMP, and after that you'll see the first cannon array:

Code:

4A 47 50 54  00 01 00 00  XX XX XX XX  YY YY YY YY
J  G  P  T  resp. amount x coordinate y coordinate

z coordinate x angle      y angle      z angle

II II ?? ??
 id    ? is always FF FF
That's it. Right after that, it's the start of the Cannon array. Remember that course must have at least one respawn, or else it'll crash, but I'm not sure if it'll crash as soon as the race starts or when you die. Every course has at least one respawn, even if you can't die in it (e.g. (SNES) Mario/Luigi/Daisy Circuit (3)). In Mario Kart DS it only crashed when you died, but I have no idea here.

So let's say that the course has 1 respawn (that means you originally couldn't fall, like the exapmle above). Let's add two, making it a total of 3 respawns:
Code:

4A 47 50 54  00 03 00 00  XX XX XX XX  YY YY YY YY
J  G  P  T  resp. amount x coordinate y coordinate

z coordinate x angle      y angle      z angle

00 00 FF FF  XX XX XX XX  YY YY YY YY  ZZ ZZ ZZ ZZ
 id    ?    x coordinate y coordinate z coordinate

TT TT TT TT  UU UU UU UU  VV VV VV VV  00 01 FF FF
x angle      y angle      z angle      id    ?

XX XX XX XX  YY YY YY YY  ZZ ZZ ZZ ZZ  TT TT TT TT
x coordinate y coordinate z coordinate x angle

UU UU UU UU  VV VV VV VV  00 01 FF FF
y angle      z angle      id    ?

Remember to always check the number of respawns. It's very important. If you want to remove all respawns for some reason, just set the number to 1 and only the first one will be loaded. Every course must have at least one.

Add one or more respawns and keep track of how many bytes you added. Remember that the ID also matters. It's that what says the actualy number of the respawn, not the one you can't edit in SZS Modifier.

Let's say you added 2 respawns. That's 0x38 bytes.

You now must add 0x38 bytes to the CNPT, MSTP and STGI pointers.

Press Ctrl+G or whatever the "Go To" function is in you hex editor. Go to 0x40. You're now at the pointer to CNPT (that's for all stages). Just add 0x38 to it.

Well so you added 0x38 bytes to the CNPT pointer. But not to the MSPT and STGI pointer. Let's go to then. On all courses they're at 0x44 and 0x48, respectively. Add 0x38 to then (lemme repeat: that's the number of bytes you added to the respawn array, down there, and it'll change depending on how many respawns you added).

And that's it. Save the course.kmp file, re-import using SZS Explorer (SZS Modifier can't import bigger files even if they're just 0x38 bytes bigger), then open it in the SZS Modifier. You should see three respawns in the Respawn area, or any number depending on how many respawns you added.

REMEMBER THAT THE ID MATTERS AND MUST BE THE SAME AS THE OTHER ONE SHOWN IN SZS MODIFIER! You should change that only when already in the editor, because you can.

Last edited by igorseabra4 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
igorseabra4

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Okay guys, I told you that this was ADVANCED. I will NOT accept any requests for changing stuff anymore. If yousend me a PM or something requesting a KMP modification, it'll be ignored. I will reply to PMs askng for help in a specific part of the tutorial.

I won't write the complete tutorial for adding an object. if you know how to hex edit (and sucessfully edited cannons or respawns) this should be enough (thanks khacker35000vr!):

http://www.mariokartwii.com/attachments/f72/2146d1289937292-how-add-cannons-objects-respawns-kmp-kmp-structure.txt

Last edited by igorseabra4 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
igorseabra4

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi guys.

Last edited by igorseabra4 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
igorseabra4

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Reserverd. Who knows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Cool. I prob won't use any of these except the cannon adding and object adding.

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:19 pm

Me too. Is this without SZS Explorer (hex editor) or the SZS Explorer method.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/ALPHAMARIOX
igorseabra4

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:51 pm

It uses a hex editor, but you must use SZS Explorer if you want to add something. If you just want to remove then SZS Explorer is not needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ALPHAMARIOX

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Yeah. SZS Explorer is just a decent program for adding objects, not removing.
Back to top Go down
igorseabra4

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:14 am

SZS Explorer is only used to import the KMP files back in. But only it can import BIGGER KMP files (add things = bigger files). You don't know anything about his stuff, do you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Unfortunately, there is no copy/paste option yet

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:45 pm

What do you mean? Where? In SZS Explorer you can copy and paste files, so you can in the Hex Editor. Where there isn't a copy/paste option?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:10 pm

No copy/paste in the Hex editor.

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:43 pm

You can copy and paste in the hex editor. You select the bytes, press Ctrl+C then go to the place where you want the copy of the bytes to be. Then you press Ctrl+V. Done, a duplicate of the bytes are there. After repointing the things you just go and edit that in SZS Modifier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks dude.

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Don't tell me that you didn't knew that Ctrl+C = Copy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:58 pm

I knew that, but I just didn't know it was capable of doing so because if you highlighted a part, right-clicked, there were no options. So I did not think Ctrl C was possible. Wink

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Well it is. Smile
Back to top Go down
Johnny

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 pm

ok thx Razz

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:27 pm

But Ctrl + C twice just to be certain. Wink
Back to top Go down
4TLPati
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:48 am

When come the next tuts? Cany you also make one how to add routes? (only when its possible)

My Friendcodes:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/mkwiigamer
ALPHAMARIOX

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:18 pm

How about adding MSPT positions (Battle Mode) on a Vs. Track to make it a Battle Track.
Back to top Go down
Vulcanus2

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:55 pm

This is difficult, I tried to add 13 cannons to DSDS kmp file (for gusty garden maze). But those pointers fail (I assume)

000038D0 is the pointer for 0x44, and I thought ( 13 * 1C = 16C, so 38D0 + 16C = 3A3C) I should change it to 00003A3C.
000038D8 for 0x48 => (38D8 + 16C = 3A44 ) 00003A44.

I pasted your line of a cannon 13 times after [CNPT] 00000000 (yes I changed it to 00130000)

What am I doing wrong.

P.S. I'm a complete noob in hex editing, but I can learn this fast I think.

View user profile
ALPHAMARIOX

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:21 pm

You should reserve a post for adding routes.
Back to top Go down
igorseabra4

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:16 pm

4TLPati wrote:
When come the next tuts? Cany you also make one how to add routes? (only when its possible)

I know nothing about Routes. They're my weak point in KMP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)   

Back to top Go down

HowTo: Add and remove Start Positions, Objects, Respawns and Cannons (ADVANCED)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next