Mario Kart Wii: Custom Community

Mario Kart Wii: Custom Community

The #1 Hacking and Customization Resource!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome To Mario Kart Customs!

Share | 

Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Atlantian

PostSubject: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi there, I've got a question about making text entries longer in a BMG file. For instance, if I wanted to rename Mario to Donkey Kong (just an example lol), would someone be able to help me? I have a feeling it involves some hex editing. If anyone know how to do this, let me know! Thanks. Smile

EDIT: I could have sworn I was in the Text Hacking Support forum when I posted this. My apologies for posting in the wrong section.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:35 pm

OK, good question. I'm glad you asked it.

First things first. Download this:

http://chadderz.is-a-geek.com/ctools/setup.exe

Download the Setup.exe and run the installation.

This is the CTools Pack. It contains the SZS Explorer and the BMG Editor. Both are handy tools. So what you need to do is open up a SZS file that has a BMG file contained inside it. Double click the BMG file and the BMG Editor should pop up. This allows you to expand the length of text. Hex-Editing was required before, but now, Chadderz released this GREAT program that does the Hex Editing for you Wink

For more:

http://mariokartcustom.niceboards.org/model-hacking-and-custom-tracks-f5/ctools-thread-t405.htm

I'll move once you reply.

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Hey, thanks a lot! That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for! Very Happy

Edit: Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble using this. When I edit a BMG file using the tools, it seems to work fine, but when I try to open it using SZS Modifier I get a message about the INF1 data being incomplete. Is that normal for it to display that message? Will it still work fine when importing it into the ISO? Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
☆Enryx☆

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Johnny wrote:
CTools Pack: It contains the SZS Explorer and the BMG Editor. Both are handy tools. So what you need to do is open up a SZS file that has a BMG file contained inside it. Double click the BMG file and the BMG Editor should pop up. This allows you to expand the length of text. Hex-Editing was required before, but now, Chadderz released this GREAT program that does the Hex Editing for you Wink

I AM missing something, I'm sure...

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the BMG Editor (NOT the SZS Explorer)... I open an SZS file that contains a BMG file (let's say Globe_I.szs)... There is menu.bmg and common.bmg... But if I double click it the normal BMG editor pop up... I've tried pressing right click -> export, exported it as bmg file and edited it, but it won't let me import it again...

o.O
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlantian

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:48 pm

☆Enryx☆ wrote:
Johnny wrote:
CTools Pack: It contains the SZS Explorer and the BMG Editor. Both are handy tools. So what you need to do is open up a SZS file that has a BMG file contained inside it. Double click the BMG file and the BMG Editor should pop up. This allows you to expand the length of text. Hex-Editing was required before, but now, Chadderz released this GREAT program that does the Hex Editing for you Wink

I AM missing something, I'm sure...

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the BMG Editor (NOT the SZS Explorer)... I open an SZS file that contains a BMG file (let's say Globe_I.szs)... There is menu.bmg and common.bmg... But if I double click it the normal BMG editor pop up... I've tried pressing right click -> export, exported it as bmg file and edited it, but it won't let me import it again...

o.O
That's my problem too. When I edit the BMG file and save it under a different name, I am unable to open it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Hmmmm... I don't know. And Atlantian, the reason the SZS Modifier can't read it is because it is longer than the original length. Movin' to support.

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:11 pm

Alright, thanks for all the help. I'll try importing that BMG file and see how it works out. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
☆Enryx☆

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:47 am

When I import a longer bmg file or it says "File is too big" or something like "the file has a wrong data size"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlantian

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:16 am

☆Enryx☆ wrote:
When I import a longer bmg file or it says "File is too big" or something like "the file has a wrong data size"
Yeah, that's what Johnny was saying before. You can't open the BMG file back up in the SZS Modifier once you make it longer/shorter, it has to be opened in the BMG Editor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ALPHAMARIOX

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Someone used BMG Editor to edit the BMG for the Custom Tracks for Bean's CTGP List. Let's try to help Bean if we want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/ALPHAMARIOX
☆Enryx☆

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:43 am

Who uses Bean's pack anymore?

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:48 pm

lol.... I use it as a base. But ofc, I've edited the XML to replace some boring courses.... cough cough BigBox.... cough....SNES MC1....

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:53 am

Cough Cough the only tracks I use from his pack are incendia castle and space road

Added:
road by road
yoshi circuit
digitally enhanced
mushroom island
proxmia road
crazy mountains
monty mole lake
nightmare RC2
snes gv1
my custom track 50% finished
dk waterfall
daisy garden
cannon city etc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Locking coz problem fixed Wink

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Did he ask you in a PM or something?

There may be others with this problem too. No offence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/ALPHAMARIOX
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file   Today at 6:09 pm

Back to top Go down

Extending the Original Length of Text in a BMG file
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1