Mario Kart Wii: Custom Community

Mario Kart Wii: Custom Community

The #1 Hacking and Customization Resource!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome To Mario Kart Customs!

Share | 

Help with character texture hacks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wingedkratos

PostSubject: Help with character texture hacks   Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:16 am

Hopefully this is the right place. I'm pretty tired so yeah. *ahem* Anyway, I have this problem... I am very new to texture hacks (for characters) and I've searched around the internet for nearly 11 hours or so trying to find a video or text tutorial on this, but there doesn't seem to be one around. It's probably pretty simple but no one seems to have posted a tutorial on it. So yeah, here it is...

Recently I downloaded a character texture pack for Dry Bones, called "Dark Bones". You may have heard of it. Now, I need help installing "everything" properly into an SD card, for Riivolution. (Yes I have homebrew channel and installed Riivolution through the Homebrew Browser, but I can't use the channel because I get some kind of error every time I try to install it.) I only use Riivolution through...no bannerbomb wiiscrubber or whatever it was. But yeah, I need help "properly" placing them in the correct areas. Here are the files that I got from within the Dark Dry Bones pack.

Race (Folder) > Kart (Folder) > 32 files for different karts
Scene (Folder) > Model (Folder) > Kart (Folder) > ka-allkart.szs (file)
brres (Text Document)
ka_Award.brres
ka_Driver.brres

Now someone said to just place all the extracted contents to the My Stuff folder which is for me... Root>mkwii>My Stuff. So I placed the extracted contents there, but when I boot up Riivolution, only the vehicle textures show up on the Char.Select screen, but not the Dark Bones texture. The Dark Bones texture only shows up during races (and the vehicle textures show up there too) but I assume that couldn't be all there is to it. I've seen a video where the Dark Bones texture showed up on the Character select screen too (both the head portrait and the moving character) however mind doesn't have that, so I have to assume I did something wrong. So yeah, I need to know where "exactly" to put everything that came in the Dark Bones texture pack, so that it all shows up properly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
4TLPati
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Help with character texture hacks   Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:20 am

Put the hack in the MyStuff folder. Name the .szs:
"name of the kart/bike"-ka
"-ka" for Dry Bones. If you tell me the bike I can give you the whole name Wink
This is an example how it could look:
sa_bike-ka.szs
= Bullet Bike; Dry Bones

In the iso at the location: Race> Kart> 32 files for different karts
are the kart and bike files for the bikes and karts during a VS/TT race.
In Scene> Model> Kart are the kart/bike and character models which you can see while choosing a character and his vehicle.

My Friendcodes:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/mkwiigamer
Wingedkratos

PostSubject: Re: Help with character texture hacks   Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:42 am

Err, I don't have an iso but okay.

Which .szs file do you speak of do I rename? There's a ka-allkart.szs one, then there's the 32 of them in that Race>Kart folder. .-. I don't want to rename the wrong thing and screw it up. It only seems to be Dry Bones that is not showing up most of the time. The bikes and karts are showing up just fine.

Separate question... Am I supposed to leave all that stuff in the folders, or do I take out literally everything and just dump it into the mystuff folder? (seems a bit messy to keep track of though if that's the case o-o) The readme seems to be under the assumption that I have downloaded an Iso and have programs to edit it or something. But I'm using the legit game. Also keep in mind that it isn't just the bullet bill car I want to use. I'd like to use all the edits at once, so how would I go about doing that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
4TLPati
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Help with character texture hacks   Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:06 am

You have downloaded the Dry Bones texture hack. The file should have .szs as file end. Rename the .szs. Tell me what kart/bike the texturw hack is and I can tell you the right name. After that put it in MyStuff folder on your SD card.

My Friendcodes:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Wingedkratos

PostSubject: Re: Help with character texture hacks   Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:30 pm

It's the Dark Bones texture hack. The bikes were all already renamed properly so I don't have to rename anything. The problem isn't with the bikes anyway, as stated in the previous post. The problem is that the Dark Bones texture does not show up on the Char. Select Screen, or in the Awards Ceremony. (which is what ka_award and ka_driver are)
I converted the .brres files (ka_award and ka_driver) into .szs files like someone from another forum said to do, now I need to know where "exactly" to place ka_award and ka_driver, in an SD card.
Things I have tried so far:
1. Putting them in SD card>Mkwii> in folders Demo and Scene>Model
2. Putting them directly into My Stuff folder.

Remember that I am using an SD card with Riivolution. Also, will I need to edit anything in the XML file to activate these? If so then where and what do I add? (Remember that I am using the mkwiiriivo template)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
4TLPati
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Help with character texture hacks   Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:42 am

No you don't need to edit the .xml. Only put it in MyStuff. You could export the texture from Dark Dry Bones and import it in the Award and Select screen.szs.

My Friendcodes:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Wingedkratos

PostSubject: Re: Help with character texture hacks   Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:10 am

[s]You probably saw this question coming from a mile away, but how would I go about doing that? I have two programs... one is called brres viewer and another called szs editor. I know that the brres viewer can do something like that... Except it has two exporting options with various things I do not understand. (yeah I've looked for tutorials, but google doesn't even seem to know what a .brress file is.) There's...

EDIT: Never mind, it seems that I need unknown to me, I do need to grab award.szs and driver.szs from an iso, using Wiiscrubber >_> since there doesn't seem to be any downloads for it... Once I do that I open up SZS modifier, open ka_award/ka_driver, then right click on each and import them into the ORIGINAL award.szs and driver.szs from the ISO. Is that correct? .-.

I swear, once I get done with this I am writing a tutorial...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with character texture hacks   

Back to top Go down

Help with character texture hacks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1